Tuesday 23 October 2012

Countdown to Trafalgar: Nelson's Final Diary Entry, 21st October 1805, his 'Trafalgar Prayer'

'Trafalgar Dawn' by Graeme Lothian


(as always, I've tried to write this out exactly as it appears in the diary itself.)

Monday Oct 21st 1805
At day light saw the Enemys Combined Fleet from E to ESE bore away made the Signal for order of sailing and to prepare for Battle the Enemy with their heads to the Southward, at 7 the Enemy wearing in succession, May the Great God whom I worship Grant to my Country and for the benefit of Europe in General a great and Glorious Victory, and may no misconduct in any one tarnish it, and may humanity after Victory be the predominant feature in the British fleet, for myself individually I commit my Life to Him who made me, and may his blessing light upon my Endeavours for serving my Country faithfully.  To Him I resign myself and the just cause which is Entrusted to me to Defend.
amen, amen, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment